We have been waiting anxiously for an untethered jailbreak to hit the web. The process takes time but thankfully pod2g, the famous iPhone hacker, has kept us in the loop with frequent twitter updates on his progress. Here’s what we know so far:
May 3, 2012
- Pod2g tweeted his iPhone 4 was running iOS 5.1 untethered!
May 10, 2012
- An untethered jailbreak with iOS 5.1 on an iPad 3 was successful.
- Pod2g admitted that applying the jailbreak to the Apple TV 3 would not be possible.
May 11, 2012
- An ETA was announced in one of several tweets on this day, predicting an untethered jailbreak release was “some weeks away”.
- A successful untethered jailbreak video was uploaded to YouTube, showing pod2g’s exploit working smoothly on an iPad 3. Fans watched on the edge of their seats knowing a jailbreak was close at hand.
- The jailbreak exploit was also compatible with iOS 5.1.1.
May 14, 2012
- A FAQ was posted on the pod2g’s blog. The first question asked for a new release date estimate:
“As I said earlier in twitter, there’s still a lot to do to have a user friendly and well tested tool to install the jailbreak on end users devices. Expect a release in a couple of weeks.”
- The iPhone 4s was confirmed as working with the upcoming jailbreak.
- The iPhone 3Gs and iPod 3G will not be supported. Pod2g explained in a tweet that the kernel vulnerability he had found, and what this jailbreak is based on, does not work on these Apple models. However, he reminds us that this may change in the future.
May 15, 2012
- A complete list of Apple devices confirmed to work on the upcoming untethered jailbreak was posted on pod2g’s blog.
It looks like the iPhone 3Gs, iPod (3rd Gen) and newest model of the Apple TV will not be supported with the untethered jailbreak. Seven devices remain to be tested, including all iPads that are cellular enabled.
May 18, 2012
- Pod2g has updated the list of supported devices for the 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak. Notice that iPhone 3Gs has been moved to the should work list. Other confirmed additions include the new iPad with CDMA and the iPod Touch (3rd and 4th Gen).
May 20, 2012
- Pod2g thanked Planetbeing and Pimskeks for their help and predicted the untethered jailbreak should be released in a few days.
May 21, 2012
A video, uploaded by Xvolks to YouTube, shows an untethered jailbreak performed with an updated Absinthe tool, likely to be named Absinthe 2.0. The jailbreak was applied using an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1. (Update: The video seems to have been placed on private. A copy of the demo has been uploaded here.)
May 22, 2012
- Pod2g, along with a few other hackers contributing to the untethered jailbreak, are attending the Hack In The Box security conference that runs May 21 through May 25. It is rumored, but not confirmed, that the untethered jailbreak will be announced and hopefully released during conference.
May 23, 2012
- Absinthe, the tool used for the upcoming untethered jailbreak, is now compatible with the iPad 3 (new iPad). If anyone was worried that pod2g would take a break while at HITB, they were wrong. He’s hard at work to release the complete jailbreak.
- The untethered jailbreak is out! Check out our untethered jailbreak tutorial!